What to expect??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

catfairy120

I just put the down payment on 2 baby chins that I am getting in August. I did a lot of research, but I wanted to know what I should expect in the first few weeks. Also, I heard different news from different people about plastic in cages. Would it be okay to have a plastic water bottle? Also, does anyone know if it is okay to put a chinchilla in a giant hamster ball?? Please don't make fun of my questions...

Congratulations on your 2 babies, and when you get them please be sure to post some pics ok? Now, I promise to not make fun, I was a beginner once and we all make mistakes but we learn from them and you are asking questions first even before getting your chins -
Also, does anyone know if it is okay to put a chinchilla in a giant hamster ball??
No this wouldn't be ok because a chin can overheat in there, chins cannot sweat, also they can pee and poo in there and they will be rolling around in all their mess :(.

Chinns will get to hot in a ball. They will also chew on everything, plastic can be dangerous to them.

Good luck with your new chins! I would get the biggest cage you can afford! A few members gave some good links try there first! As for the ball - it's dangerous and should not be used for chins! A chin-proof room, like a bathroom works well. Everyone here is here to help you be a good chin parent. I joined a month before I adopted my chin, and things are going great!

Not only is the ball dangerous because they can very easily overheat, chins also enjoying jumping and playing, neither of which they can do in a ball. Also, running around in poop and pee would not be fun either.

As for the water bottle, all my water bottles are plastic. It honestly depends on the chin. I have never had a problem with a chin trying to chew their water bottles (my own chins and rescues). If you worried about it, and you already have a plastic water bottle, pet stores do sell metal guards for them. They are usually in the same section as the bottles.

I'm a new chinchilla owner too. well.. kinda. I'm getting mine on Tuesday. But I have been acting like a squirrel hording all the stuff I need for the new arrival. I bought books, I printed Care sheets. I even visited some people who owned some. The cages are fairly large as I understand.

A minimum for a cage is.. 30 wide but 18 deep but 30 tall.

From my understanding Chinchilla's like to be higher up.

I have also heard that plastic is a really bad thing for chinchilla's to eat. It can really mess them up badly. However, some people have their chinchilla's in plastic cages and they never have touched the plastic I guess.

But by preference, I stay way from plastic in fear that one day the chinchilla might decide.. "Hey Plastic is delicious"

I got my Cage from a small hole in the wall pet shop.(Their Website) A breeder sent me there its called Family Pets & Aquariums its in Nashua New Hampshire in New England. I'm not sure if they ship but if you give them a call and ask. They have a guy who they call to build them. He might?

My cage is 30 wide 18 deep and 36 tall. and it cost me 175.00. That included the wooden shelves that were installed, the shields for poop flingers and a special cut doors. Also the smaller size holes in the wall of the cage. (The prevents their feet getting cought as babies or adults) Oh! it has a pull out pan too.
I can take a picture if you like? The guy did a great job!

Congrats on the new babies!!!

Cage:
As Tunes said CagesDirect.com sells the Ferret Nation 141,142,143. That is where I bought mine, it has the best price and is a fantastic cage. Check out the Housing part of the forum to see some of the amazing set ups people have. It should have solid floors as wire mesh can cause bumblefoot. And as for plastic, i would avoid things like plastic igloo houses or toys and any add ins but As long as you chinchillas aren't chewing it a plastic bottom is fine. ((My quarentine cage has a plastic bottom.)) As Blarklark said they need room and like to jump and climb, so a taller cage is better then a long one. Not to sound like a commercial but the Ferret Nation is huge and My Girl love it! Things like ramps and ladders are not needed and often cause more hazard then help. Chinchillas prefer to jump so ledges and shelves make them happy.

Water Bottles:
I have three Edstrom Water Buddies. These are plastic, but they do not leak at all! Nyx (my Black Velvet) took a bite out of the top of hers and it still work perfectly... from behind its new sheild. Some chinchillas have issues with the nozzle and they have been discontinued. But you can still find them. There are a Ton of nice glass ones. Chins can't chew them and they are easy to clean.

Plastic Play ball:
These are often refered to as Death balls on the site. As has been already stated they have very little ventilation and the chinchillas over heat very easily in them. Over heating can cause seizure and death. Plus, chinchillas poop ALL THE TIME. They can't hold it in when they are in the ball. And the image that comes to my minds eye is.... well you know those tottler toys with the balls in side that jump and bounce when the toy is pushed....:vomit:

What to expect:
They will probably be nervous the first few days. Give them a day or two to settle in, they will probably become more friendly after a few days. Sitting next to their cage and singing or reading helps them bond to you better. It also seems to have a calming effect. Oh and be ready for poo. As I said they do it all the time. This really caught me off guard when I first got one and it always seems to shock people.

Things not to do:
Since you are getting babies DO NOT feed them any kind of raisin or fruit!!!! Its basically like giving a 6 month old a whole Coke. Stick to sticks, a 1/4- 1/2 plain shredded wheat and of course lots of sticks like apple wood. After six months then you can (technically) start giving a raisin as a treat but you really don't need to. I give a raisin if playtime last more then an hour just to keep the blood sugar up. Pia is just a baby still so her playtime doesn't last more then 15-30 mins.. much to her shegrin!

I hope that helps and I am so glad you found the forum!!! Check out all the Facts pages. I wish I had found this place when I first got chinchillas.

I think everyone answered your questions, no plastic is the best way to go! Congrats on the soon to be new additions, you definitely came to the right place to have a blast sharing pictures, stories, your addiction to small furry animals, etc!

thats cool that you get them from the baby stage :) but for the first few weeks expect a lot of investigating on their part lol they'll want to get a feel for their new home so no matter how cute they are for the first few days at least make sure they have their space. sure you can watch them but make no attempts to grab or hold them yet. Good luck with them!

Back