Help w/ Breeding chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

Itzstevenn

I have a 5 1/2 female chinchilla.
I was wondering can i just get male to see if they get along then let them mate?
Does male and female stay in same cage for rest of the pregnant life of the mother chinchilla?
I read stories that I should be ready for anything.
I need know step by step what should I do about getting my chinchilla Pregnant.
When mother chinchilla give birth do i just let her give it? and keep my eye on baby and mother for weeks?

Step as in
getting male,supplies,what to do during pregnancy,caring for parent chinchilla,what to do after pregnancy,many more I cant think but I dont mind if you give me information.

Thank you
-Steven-

You should definitely read the breeding FAQ here: http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86 it will answer most of your questions.

Also, you need to make sure your chinchilla is of breeding quality. We don't just breed anything. Where did you get your female? She should be from a good reputable breeder that is very knowledgeable. People work hard to keep a good standard and breed healthy chins. If you do NOT have a breeding quality female, do not breed her. Ans the same is true for males. A breeding pair should be carefully chosen so they complement each other on their personal weaknesses (fur, size, etc). Malocclusion and heart murmurs are genetic diseases that can be passed on if you breed poor quality animals.

Have you attended to shows? That's the best way to know what good quality is.

Definitely need to read the FAQ section and lots of posts from this site. I hope to start hobby breeding in a few years - but there is so much research you need to do before you even consider this. I noticed your age...17...why do you want to breed your female? What are you going to do w/ the kits? Do you have $ saved in case there are complications?

I will add my 2 cents. I was going to wait to breed, but I thought I was ready and breed a few chins. Well, with being on a forum for over a year, I realized I still wasn't ready. I lost mom and the kit. So please, please don't just jump into it. You might think you are ready even with everything you read, but in reality one isn't ready until they learn from a mentor first. There are so many things that can go wrong, please trust me on that one. It's hard enough as it is to lose a loved when, but when you might be the one that caused their death, it's even worse. Total guilt eats away at me everyday because I should not of attempted it yet.

So please for the safety of your chin and the kits, don't breed until you really know everything you need to know about chin births.

Jean

I agree with the others. Do a lot of research first. It will be fot the best in the long run.

BTW, is your female 5 1/2 months or years? If she is 5 1/2 months she is too young to breed, she need to be at least 8 months to 1 year old for breeding.

I have a 5 1/2 female chinchilla.
She is kinda old to start breeding. She may have kits but may not. Most breeders start them at 1 year. And do you know anything about her background? is she breeding quality? What would you look for in a male to help improve the quality of the kits?
I was wondering can i just get male to see if they get along then let them mate?
I am not trying to discourage you but if you are going to breed it is a lot more than throwing two animals together. You need to look at why you are breeding and what you want to achieve. You need to put two animals together that complement each other and compensate for their flaws. A simple example is I have a female who was judged at a show as 1st place but her fur is a little to long. so I put her with a male who has fur that was judge a little to short. This is overly simplified a lot more thought went into the pairing than that. But it isn't hey you have male parts and you have female parts lets make cute fuzzballs.
Again depends on the quality of the female. It is best to breed to improve not just to breed. If you think she is lonley you could get a second female for company. And they again may not mate she is a bit old to start breeding her. Females can breed past that age but it is usually better to start them younger.
Does male and female stay in same cage for rest of the pregnant life of the mother chinchilla?
When a female is almost ready to give birth he needs to be pulled out especially if you think she may breed back. Many males make great dads but many females and males will fight badly and can kill one another.
I read stories that I should be ready for anything.
You need to be ready for anything but stories do not prepare you. There is a lot that can go wrong. I have come home to a female that tore a male apart, not even because she was pregnant she just tore her cage mate to peices. had been with him for several years, had had his kits with no problem. I had a very pregnant female get beat up and killed we got the kits out before she passed and I hand fed them but all died one at a time after a week of feeding every 2 hours. I have lost kits, I have lost moms. I have pulled dead decaying kits from a mom pushing to expell the babies. Their is no way to describe that smell.
I have held my favorite female in my arms on the way to the vet as she is dying. stories cannot prepare you for the pain. Mostly everything goes well but when it doesn't it can cost thousands of dollars at the vet and even then often they don't make it.
I need know step by step what should I do about getting my chinchilla Pregnant.
When mother chinchilla give birth do i just let her give it? and keep my eye on baby and mother for weeks?
You watch and make sure the baby is gaining otherwise nature takes over and Momma raises her baby

getting male,
Get the best quality male you can get your hands on from a good breeder

supplies,what to do during pregnancy,caring for parent chinchilla,what to do after pregnancy,many more I cant think but I dont mind if you give me information.
All this can be found in the forum with a search

Please don't breed your animals unless they're from good quality, healthy, shown and proven lines. There are too many poorly bred chins out there already, and no where near enough owners. Poke around in the "rescues" section for an idea of just how many out there need a family to call their own before you add even more animals to the population.

Thank you for providing me information.
These forums are for learning and questions right?
Im just curious about breeding chinchilla's.
I only have one right now and thought about buying another female but
i could get male and had kits.
I just want learn more more about chinchilla's and breeding.
I know how to care and be responsible.

It's excellent, Itzstevenn, that you are asking questions and taking the time to learn. The best advice I could give you is as mentioned above somewhere -- read through the chin breeding and babies section. Read the FAQ regarding kit care. Ask more questions. Many people regret not starting out in a more informed manner and with the best animals possible. If you do as much research as possible beforehand, attend some shows to learn about quality animals, and find a mentor who can help you, you'll be much happier with your end result.

Welcome to CnH. :)

Thank you for providing me information.
These forums are for learning and questions right?
Im just curious about breeding chinchilla's.
I only have one right now and thought about buying another female but
i could get male and had kits.
I just want learn more more about chinchilla's and breeding.
I know how to care and be responsible.

That's right! :thumbsup:

You ask question and we redirect you towards good information!

So where's your female from? You should check out shows and attend some.

Back