Safe Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Trouble....
I'm thinking that this is a topic we should start and sticky for the new members that we're going to get, as it is a common question from new people. What are safe treats? And remember: All consumed treats should be given in moderation. 1-2 times a week. Wood sticks though, have at it.

YES
Rosehips (crushed or whole)
Wood sticks
A pinch of old fashion, slow-cook oats
1 Plain cheerio
1 Unfrosted Shredded wheat

NO
Raisins and other dried fruits
Fresh fruits
Fresh veggies
Yogurt drops
Pretty much anything advertised in the pet store as "For Chinchillas"

Feel free to add your own options.

How about whole oats?

ETA bite size unfrosted shredded wheats, not the big ones, to clarify on that list

Some others that aren't as commonly given are hibiscus petals ad then there's chin cookies made by members (ex. no sugar added)
Otherwise mine also get alfalfa hay cubes as the occasional treat

Mine get alfalfa cubes sometimes too, and they love their Lifeline!

Ooh ya, 'treat' hays too. Mine get a little pile of orchard grass as a treat sometimes (in addition to their everflowing supply of timothy hay).

Mine really enjoy all the different types of hay. I feed mainly Timothy but mine love orchard grass, brome grass and whatever else I can get my hands on in smaller quantities.

Wheat germ is a really good treat too. My chins vacuum it up so quick I barely get a chance to put it down in their supplement feeder! :p The only thing with wheat germ is to make sure you keep it refridgerated. It can go rancid if not. I give a tsp to my chins every other day.

I mostly make my own healthy treats such as:
Chin Pops
Gourmet Dipped Apple Sticks
Chin Thins

I also give whole oats, and non frosted shredded wheat on occasion.

I give a variety of treats:

raisins
dried papaya
dried cranberries
unfrosted shredded wheat
plain cheerios
dried rose hips
active culture yogurt (usually strawberry)

It's important to note that the fruits should be given in extreme moderation, only one at a time, and only once or twice a week. However, the papaya's enzymes can help break down hairballs in the digestive tract, and the raisins are good for treating mild constipation. The yogurt is also helpful when dealing with digestive issues, because of the probiotic bacteria present, it relpenishes the healthy gut flora that aid in digestion. Shredded wheat can be used to treat mild diahrrea or soft stools.

Again, these things should always be given in moderation The vast bulk of a chinchilla's diet should consist of high quality hay and pellets.

Well my girl thinks her oat supplement is a treat so it's great for bonding I'll put some in the palm of my hand and she goes nuts over it and licks every little bit out.

Our Freddy is too little to get treats but we did give him some applewood yesterday which he immediately dragged into his house and I don't know what happened to it after that. He did get a shredded wheat too when we first switched his food because I was afraid he'd get diarrhea.

Along with all the treats listed in the first post I also give dried pink rose buds. My chins go crazy for them!

raisins
dried papaya
dried cranberries
unfrosted shredded wheat
plain cheerios
dried rose hips

It's important to note that the fruits should be given in extreme moderation, only one at a time, and only once or twice a week. However, the papaya's enzymes can help break down hairballs in the digestive tract, and the raisins are good for treating mild constipation. The yogurt is also helpful when dealing with digestive issues, because of the probiotic bacteria present, it relpenishes the healthy gut flora that aid in digestion. Shredded wheat can be used to treat mild diahrrea or soft stools.

Again, these things should always be given in moderation The vast bulk of a chinchilla's diet should consist of high quality hay and pellets.

Raisins are so high in sugar and if a chinchilla does have mild constipation, will only make things worst by upsetting the gut. Papayas are useless to help hairballs.. in fact chinchillas haven't even been proven to get hairballs.

Flavored yogurt holds too much sugar and there are plenty of healthy alternatives such as acidophilus- so why risk it?

Also, chinchillas don't need fruit or any other treat for that matter, so why would you risk feeding fruit with loads of sugar in it? Do the pros and cons really balance themselves out? I think not.

raisins
dried papaya
dried cranberries
unfrosted shredded wheat
plain cheerios
dried rose hips

Abbie, look at what I said in my first post:

NO
Raisins and other dried fruits
Fresh fruits
Fresh veggies
Yogurt drops
Pretty much anything advertised in the pet store as "For Chinchillas"

For digestion issues, you can use straight acidophilus which works perfectly. All the sugar in the yogurt treats is going to give a chinchilla more digestive issues, rather than help.

Diarrhea? Activated charcoal, burnt toast, a shredded wheat(unfrosted).

Chins don't really get hairballs, so... You're killing your chinchilla with those treats.

Safe wood sticks are given daily.

At my house, treats are used sparingly. They get treats once or twice a week from this approved list:

Chinnie Crack (Pet Pasta)
unsweetened spoon sized shredded wheat
dried hibiscus flower
rose hip
dried chamomile flower
rolled oats
hay cube

They NEVER get any kind of dried fruit or veggies.

raisins
dried papaya
dried cranberries

These are all things I would NEVER give a chin as they are bad for their digestive tracts. If you are trying to improve their digestive tract, give them acidophillus.

Sesame loves her sticks, particularly the really gnarly one or the skinny twigs. Also, the bitty bagels, rosehips, herbal supplement, cholla wood, grapevine/willow balls/wreaths/stars, rolled oats (not the quick oats!), coconut rope, acidophilius tablet, etc. Treats are always in moderation, but she usually gets a few sticks in a day.

Can someone please post the safe-wood list so members can find it? Thanks!

Back