Super Pet bath dust?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cassadaga

Is this dust really that different from something like Blue Cloud? I got it for my new chin, and he seemed like he had no interest in taking a bath (and I know he knows how to take them because his fur has been in beautiful condition since we got him from his previous owner). The texture of the Super Pet stuff just feels very sandy and uncomfortable to me. Then again I have never felt bath dust so maybe it should feel this way... anyways, is it really worth it to order Blue Cloud online and have it shipped to Canada rather than just getting the Super Pet brand in the store?

The only super pet bath that I know of is the "sand" and yes it is different, do not use it. Buy dust not sand. If you can't get blue cloud or sparkle locally, there are other petstore brands that are dust-kaytee seems the same as sparkle and sunseed seems the same as blue cloud to me. If you only have one chin, it might not be a big deal to pay more locally instead of having to pay shipping. If you still can't find dust locally, try looking for a canadian supplier, breeder, or ranch, I'm positive someone will have dust.

Classic - I have the bath powder, not sand. It just feels pretty sandy-like to me. I will check out the Kaytee or Sunseed though and see if that is better than what I have. Thanks :)

Blue Cloud is much finer, softer, and more powdery than Super Pet's dust bath... especially much more so than the Super Pet bath sand.

Frankly, it's more economical to buy Blue Cloud online. At petsmart they are selling Kaytee Chinchilla dust at $8.49 for a 2.5 lbs container. That's $3.40 per lb. Petco sells the same container for $9.99, which is $4.00 per lb. At chinchillas.com you can get 14 lbs of Blue Cloud dust with free shipping for $17.95, which is $1.28 per lb. Seems like a better deal to me, and the quality is much better, in my opinion.

I believe there is someone in Canada selling it - check "supplies for sale."

I know that 25 lbs. of dust can be fit into a large flat box, so the price gets even better if you're willing to go a little more bulk.

You also could check with the breeders in your area. I know quite a few of the bigger breeders order it by the ton and they might be willing to sell you some.

We ordered Blue Sparkle from Ryerson's, and a 50 lb. bag cost around $35 (shipping included). Way better than what we paid for Sunseed at the pet store. Definitely look at buying online!

Thanks for all your input guys. I've found a site where I can order Blue Cloud and chinchilla feed (I'd really like to avoid store bought food). I calculated the costs and I'll save 34$ yearly buying online! Sounds pretty good to me!

I used petstore dust and my chins would not dust in it but yet I offered them blue cloud and they jump right in (spoiled brats). We just picked up a 50 lb bag of blue cloud for $24 but didn't pay shipping because we picked it up and that should last our 4 a LONG time. We just find it easier to buy large quantities because it's easier than buying enough for a month and risk running out or someone peeing in the dust and than us being SOL until we get new dust.

The place I ordered dust from is within a 1/2 hour distance from my house, so the day they shipped it out it arrived. I was pretty surprised. It was Nick's Animal Place.

Back