Lets see those cages!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megan

Dot lives forever!
Post your cages here!! I remember seeing some WONDERFUL set ups for hedgies! I'll see if I can dig out the photos from when I had my girls, too!

Here is Penny's princess pad:

2008_0811newpennycage0001.jpg

2008_0811newpennycage0005.jpg

Look at all that pink! Is that stuffed hedgehog in there a dog toy or just a normal stuffie?

This should provide some motivation to finally finish the Terrible Trio's new cages. I have everything cut and ready... just not time to put it together.

It's a stuffed dog toy hedgie, I got it from PetSmart. I find the stuffed hedgie in her tubes every morning.. lol, Apparently that's where he sleeps! Coz the castle is only for princesses, Duh! hahaha..

Look at all that pink! Is that stuffed hedgehog in there a dog toy or just a normal stuffie?

This should provide some motivation to finally finish the Terrible Trio's new cages. I have everything cut and ready... just not time to put it together.

Cut and ready? Hmmm.. What do we have in mind?

New cage floors, sides and a half level in each cage. You know how Lisa has her cages set up? Like that. Since my hogs like to see out, I'm doing cut outs in the coroplast sides and attaching plastic mesh as well. That's a pain in the you-know-what.

I've got a 2 level Ferret Nation for my boys and I'm in love with cage. I can't image how I dealt with the previous cages before purchasing this one.

This an overall view with the cage doors closed:
DSC_0097.jpg

This is a close up of one level. We change the set up weekly so this is from when I first arranged the items:
DSC_0062.jpg

Sid's Condo

I felt really bad that I had my new hedgie in a store cage so I built this one when I was 8 months pregnant. I guess you can say I was "nesting" LoL

Love the decor?? Got it from the Nancy at the Hedgie Den. ;)

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

Question about Bedding...

I've noticed that in both of your cages, you guys are using a fabric as the bedding. I was wondering if there was a reason that you use fabric over other bedding and how your hedgies like it. Thanks!

Many people use fabric bedding simply because it's safer and much nicer to use. It doesn't harbor mites, it's not dusty and there's no way a hedgehog can get slivers in their sensitive areas. It's also relatively inexpensive after the first purchase, because all you have to do is wash it and it's as good as new. For hedgehogs with respiratory illnesses, fabric liners are great because they won't irritate the nose with dust.

All around, liners are just more health and eco friendly for the little quill balls.

I've noticed that in both of your cages, you guys are using a fabric as the bedding. I was wondering if there was a reason that you use fabric over other bedding and how your hedgies like it. Thanks!

I have serious dust allergies and the fleece liners are so much better for me. It takes no time at all to clean the cage. I don't have to buy shavings, just litter for the litter box. It doesn't stink. It's warmer and cooler all at the same time. And plus all the health benefits to hedgies. I could go on and on.

I posted this on Hedgehog Central and will post it here. My comparison is to wood chips, but many of the points apply to any substrate.

Here is why I use liners:

1. We had a mite outbreak. We found mites in the aspen bedding. There have been other reports of mites coming in from wood bedding.

2. Wood chips and splinters can get stuck in sensitive areas, including eyes, mouths, and genitalia.

3. Some wood chips can be dusty and cause respritory problems.

4. Cage liners are washable and resuable. No need to run out the the store or have to throw away dirty bedding.

5. No wood chips on the floor!

6. A light colored cage liner is going to allow for faster detection of health issues. It is far easier to find a small blood spot in feces or urine on a light colored liner than it will be to find in wood chips.

Where did you purchase or did you make your fabric liners? And if you made them, what is the best type of fabric to use for them. Thanks guys for the help!

The new Ferret Nation setup. First, an overall view:
S6300390.jpg

Ronnie's half (on top). Since this pic was taken, I've moved her kleenex box over to the other side so she can have easier access to her litter box. Her food and water are against the door close to her kleenex box. Also, their temps are kept at 78F, not 74F as you see on the thermometer. The CHE was still warming up.
S6300391.jpg

And here's a video of Ronnie's first moments in her new home:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yuGfA6qzco

Phoebe's half (on bottom). She moved her food dish to the opposite side of the cage every night for a week, so I gave in and now it's on the opposite side from where you see it in the picture.
S6300392.jpg

And a video of Phoebe's first moments in her new home.... not quite as brave as Ronnie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Mn8b1uXJk

My set up:

Bins connected with 4 inch PVC piping and ventilation holes drilled around the lower half.
Homemade bucket wheels with paper towels tucked under the stand.
Single layer fleece liners.
Medium pigloos stuffed with fleece strips and blankies
Heavy ceramic crock bowls for water and low sided kidney shaped ceramic food dishes.
The toys change once in awhile but mostly go ignored

P251008_1138.jpg

P251008_113801.jpg

P251008_1142.jpg

P251008_114201.jpg

P251008_1140.jpg

P251008_1141.jpg

A couple of the inhabitants, to help give some perspective on the size
28122008009.jpg
P151208_005201.jpg

Old set up: (Demons 2 story bin cage)

Bins with ventilation holes drilled around lower half.
Upper bin rests on legs made out of cloroplast and sits snugly in lower bin.
Bins connected with vinyl dryer duct tube
Modified silent spinner ( all slits were closed with aquarium silicone )
Hole was drilled in side of bin to allow wheel to be attached to the side. The stand was also always used and helped to anchor down paper towels
Single layer fleece liners.
Small pigloo with fleece cover
Heavy ceramic crock bowls for water and low sided kidney shaped ceramic food dishes.

P040108_2110.jpg

P040108_2113.jpg

P040108_2112.jpg

P170208_2058.jpg
P180208_2220.jpg

Last edited:
I'm visiting from the Chins side of the forums, but had to write. Your hedgies and hedgie homes are ADORABLE! I loved the creativity and resourcefulness.

Back