Dust?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The actual company, where it is mined, is in Southern California, and I have been able to pick up the 50 lb bags from the company for $10 -if you live in SO. Cal it may be worth the trip.
OMG really? I was told they didn't sell unless you bought a lot of it! My parents live in Valencia, and I visit all the time! The mine/plant is really close to them. haha

Did a quick search, and came up with this:
http://www.ibegin.com/directory/us/california/canyon-country/blue-cloud-mineral-co-/

(Blue Cloud Mineral Company)
28945 Bouquet Canyon Rd, Santa Clarita, CA 91390-1211

I know the breeder I buy Cinder's food from mentioned that the plant is by my parent's house.

Last edited:
OMG really? I was told they didn't sell unless you bought a lot of it! My parents live in Valencia, and I visit all the time! The mine/plant is really close to them. haha

Did a quick search, and came up with this:
http://www.ibegin.com/directory/us/california/canyon-country/blue-cloud-mineral-co-/

(Blue Cloud Mineral Company)
28945 Bouquet Canyon Rd, Santa Clarita, CA 91390-1211

I know the breeder I buy Cinder's food from mentioned that the plant is by my parent's house.

I wish I was closer I would get a truck full.

A few years ago, I contacted the company that distributes Blue Sparkle in Missouri, and UPS charges would have been $75 for 50lbs.! He then told me about a custom cement company in the northern suburbs that bought it by the semi-trailer load! [I'm near Chicago]
When I approached them, the guy in charge was so enthralled by what I was going to use it for, he gave me 200lbs.!! Said he looses that much or more in transit! Next time back, the owner figured out cost, and charged me 10 cents a pound, saying it would be more next time! [price of fuel]
If you look up "concrete additives" in your area, you might just luck out!

A few years ago, I contacted the company that distributes Blue Sparkle in Missouri, and UPS charges would have been $75 for 50lbs.! He then told me about a custom cement company in the northern suburbs that bought it by the semi-trailer load! [I'm near Chicago]
When I approached them, the guy in charge was so enthralled by what I was going to use it for, he gave me 200lbs.!! Said he looses that much or more in transit! Next time back, the owner figured out cost, and charged me 10 cents a pound, saying it would be more next time! [price of fuel]
If you look up "concrete additives" in your area, you might just luck out!

Could I just call around to local concrete companies and ask for "blue sparkle" or "blue cloud" and they would know what I am talking about? Something tells me I would be unleashing my inner idiot...

Is there a technical name for the blue sparkle/blue cloud when it is used in concrete mixes? I am kind of choking on the fact that an $11 product jumps to about $50 when you put in shipping. Anyone know of concrete companies or Chinchilla shows in Colorado?

Hmmm... I never thought to do this. I am curious too if you asked them for "blue cloud" or "blue sparkle".

So far, I've only found it's called "pumice" - at least that's what's on the reciept, but I'll call back and ask for an exact name "after lunch!" [for them]

Any word on the specific name? I'm assuming pumice would work too.

So what did you put 200lbs of dust in? I cannot fatham having that much dust sitting in my house. Five pounds alone gets all over everything even when the chins are not dusting in it. lol Do they give it to you bagged up(I would assume not?)?

Im getting very close to having this same problem. I was lucky the last few years having a girl getting a lot of it & willing to sell to me. I used to have about 200#'s but thats slowly coming to an end & she no longer gets it. What a bummer.

So, im in the same boat & refuse to spend $50.00 in shipping on animal dust. Gah. I wish it were easier to find locally. That would make mine & all other chinchilla owners lives easier, but of course thats not how things work. =]

:bump::bump:

Rickman, were dying here! Any news on what the dust is called? Also what concrete company would have it? Just the additive companies or what? Do you have a distribution phone number where I could start even if it is out of state?

Thanks!

Sorry I took so long, but while I was out yesterday, my table got "straightened out", and I couldn't find a blessed thing!
I called over there again today, and found they own the mine! They've been looking to sell to the chin industry, but, somehow, got my phone# wrong, and wanted to get ahold of me!
I'm now waiting for pricing, as they'll drop ship anywhere in the world!
I'll post it as soon as I find out!!
I'll bet any cement supplier would at least double it!

ryersons' in southern california?!?! >=[ i feel so stupid now...i JUST bought some with shipping.....i should've been smarter to google map the location before i actually went to get it shipped >=[ its only approximately 43 minutes away too >=[ so angry!!!:hair:

Last edited:
Man in this economy a good side job would to be a dust distributor through craigslist for the Colorado region...

Let me know how this thing pans out. :thinking:

Back