question on food??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillasrox

This has probly been asked before on here but here is a list of food i have found on here that people use. Will you please tell me the one you use if you use one of the listed and any problems you have had with it if you have used it...

Mazuri
Puria Rabbit Show Chow (PRSC)
Oxbow
Bephar
Alderpark
Tradition
Mana Pro (for rabbits)

I use Mazuri. I can't say I've had any problems with it for the pets, they all eat it, they're all good weights. The rescues do fine on it as well. It's locally found (well, ordered) for me and I can get it reasonably priced without driving ridiculously out of my way. However, I do have a run of breeding chins and 2 colony breeding cages... and I've had one baby born in the last three years (and that conception actually happened was when I was switching 9 chins from Shoots feed to Mazuri). I just read somewhere that it was suggested that Mazuri can cause problems with slow breeders or something like that - I don't know if that's the case, or if I have gay chins... but the fact that I just read that about the slow producers makes me wonder...

If I could get it, no other food compares to Tradition as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, I can't, so I use Nutrena which works well for me, but I'm still a Tradition fan.

My Chinchilla's been on Oxbow for a couple months. He loves it and eats a lot. It is a little more expensive, but it works well. If I could do it over again I'd probably get Mazuri for the price (although I've heard some people say that it causes softer poops in some chins), but I'm hesitant to because I don't want to switch him to a different food based on price alone, especially when I don't know if he'll like it as much. I've only got one (and another on the way in a couple days), so a five pound bag lasts decently long.

I've been using Oxbow with all of my chins for over 2 years now. They are all doing well on it. I've also used Beaphar on my one chin that had malo. It's super expensive to get shipped here to the U.S., between $35-$50 for a 3.5 lb bag, but it was totally worth it when my chin would not eat on his own until I got him the Beaphar.

i feed Oxbow to Rhino. it's easy to get at the mom n pop shop i go to for feed and hay, or in a pinch, i can grab a bag at petsmart (although it's twice as much at petsmart! ugh).

I have tried a lot of feeds. My top picks are Tradition and Oxbow. I can get 50 lbs of Tradition at a feed store near me so that is what I feed. All my chins are big and healthy.

I have been using Mazuri since I got Chichi (October of last year). It has been working out good, but I found out this morning that Tradition might be available at a feed store in my town. I have noticed (just within the past two weeks) that some poops have been softer. I'm not talking about soft as in diarrhea, but when I vacuum them up, some of them either squish or break apart. Is this what classifies as "soft poops"?

Bephar and Alderpark are not made in this country, the Beaphar is hard to get and you need to be very determined to get it, its used here mostly for chins with teeth issues.

I have used Mazuri, loose poo, Oxbow-good result, Nutrena-good result, PRSC-chins hated it, American Pet Diner-chins LOVED it prior to the formulation change, after that chins hated it.

I started with Mazuri when I only had Boji, but he had soft poo, so I switched to Oxbow and have been feeding it for 5 years. All still love it.

I used to use Mazuri, actually many breeders in the Midwest used to , but had some problems with it, or at least they assumed those problems were caused by the feed. Less babies being produced, a higher death rate, and jsut overall not healthy chinchillas. But they believe it was just a problem with the mill, and I'm thinking that problem with the feed is now resolved. Many breeders switched to Tradition, Nutrena, or Manna Pro. I currently use Manna Pro/Nutrena- depends what is in stock, but it basicly has the same nutrition values. The Manna Pro/Nutrena is around $15 for a 50# bag compared to the Mazuri being around $15 for a 25# bag, so if you are a breeder the best "bang for your buck" is the rabbit feed (Manna Pro/Nutrena). Price was probably another reason people switched.
Hope this helps! :)
Oh, and I have had great results with the Nutrena/Manna Pro feeds. Great weights, very active (not lethargic), good production, etc. I would highly recommend these feeds :)

Last edited:
I started my chin out on Mazuri and had no issues with it. The store stopped carrying it so I switched to Oxbow, and it has also been a great food.

I feed tradition. I've only had my Chin for a month, but no problems with it. It is what her breeder feeds as well.

i live in england and my chinchillas have been eating charlie chinchilla since i got them i got them young at a pet shop about 11 years ago with no problems i feed different hay and occasional treats of fruit and veg with no problems i have also given my chinchillas cherry branches to eat and they are still living i only found out today that they are on the unsafe wood list.

Back