Gus is VERY sick.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a hand feeding video made by one of the ladies on another forum I am on.
That video isn't very realistic for a chin that isn't used to being hand fed. There is no way you can see what you're doing with a chin in your lap facing away from you.

I'm right handed so I tip the chin back at a 30 degree angle with my left hand and syringe with my right hand. I usually sit with my left foot propped up on something so I have the chins back resting on my leg and their head cradled in my hand. Also stabilizing their body with my left arm. Some chins you need to put the syringe in the side of their mouth, behind their teeth. Others prefer to have it on their lips. Part of the trial and error of syringe feeding is finding the most comfortable position for both you and the chin. Once you get that figured out, feeding becomes much easier.

As long as they're not recovering from surgery, I give dust baths after feeding. It helps get the CC out of their fur and makes them feel a lot better.

That video isn't very realistic for a chin that isn't used to being hand fed. There is no way you can see what you're doing with a chin in your lap facing away from you.

I just posted it so she could get a general idea. Everyone has to find their own way of doing it and being comfortable feeding. Some people do it that way. I have my own way that I do it. Everything at this point can help.

While I agree that that video isn't always the practical way to do it, I agree that people should know (and try) all of the different ways it can be done to see what works best. When Jinx got sick, she was an absolute terror to feed. Had to be burrito'd and everything and she squirmed and got CC everywhere. Let's not even get into the subq injections which I sucked at giving.

I'd put her down to give myself a break from the feedings, and she used to always hop in her chin-scale though, which had a plastic sort of high-sided tray in it...and so one day, while she sat in there with her paws up, I tried to give her the CC - without me holding her, with her just standing on her own (with her front up higher than her back end, because her paws were resting on the 4-inch higher lip of the tray)...she took it!! No fuss, no nothing, she just stood in her little tray and took the CC like a champ. Basically she took it from me like the last chin in the video did...if I had known she would have taken it like this, I would have saved myself so much mess and so much trouble.... so I think it is good to try out different ways, cause you may find one that's 100 times easier than the others...

Good luck with Gus, don't give up yet!!!

You have to find the most comfortable way for you and your chin or you have to swaddle (or burrito) and just do it. I do not have any chins that liked to be flipped over on their backs so that would be a nightmare for me (and the chin) if I had to do that. The "football hold" (because I have no other way to describe it LOL) worked great for me. Chinnie in the crook of my arm with my hand resting under her chest and supporting her feet with my fingers and angled up with her face right near mine so I can see exactly where I am putting the syringe and how she is doing chewing and swallowing. She was comfortable and I was comfortable because I could see what was going on and I didn't worry that I might accidentally stick the syringe up her nose. I wish Gus and you and your husband all the best.

We don't have any problems feeding him. He sits through each one and only dribbles a little when I push too much in at a time (accidentaly - as I am still learning). He doesn't walk. He just lays in the crate. We are massaging and moving his legs, and sometimes during feeding he will move on his on a little, but I don't know just what to do to help bring him out of this.

He needs Reglan and Propulsid to get his gut moving and pain meds to help him through it. You are doing a wonderful job taking care of him but unfortunately he needs the help of those medications as well. I hope you can get in to see a knowledgeable vet this morning. Hoping the best for Gus!

Yup, definitely pain meds and the gut stimulants.
Keep pumping the OCC and Simethicone into him - bloat/stasis is exceptionally painful and he will not want to move or eat.

Is he passing any droppings?

Well due to "inclement weather" Dr. Rhody's office is closed. I'm going to try calling another vet....fingers crossed.

He is still pooping, and last night I was "watching" and he was passing gas...stinky little guy.

I just called Everhart Animal Hospital - Dr. Lewis doesn't come in until 1pm, and she doesn't see patients till 4, but they're going to give her a call in an hour and see if she can see Gus at 1:00 when she comes in at 1. Fingers crossed.

Thank everyone for the input..
This is Bryant (the hubby-Gus' dad)
My lil man is not getting any better as i can see but i'm still trying ..the meds the tummy rubbing , the football carry- even though i can put him on his back (he's that weak) and rub his tummy for gas and b/m s. This is going to be my third vet in three days and with the storm out , funds low we're going.
I know ya'll aren't certified vets here (some of you are WAY more experienced then the ones we've met thus far)lol
I just felt obligated to send thanks for all the advice though and continued well wishes for my "puddin" Gus.
Thanks again-
Bryant

There's nothing worse than dealing with a sick chin and feeling you're fighting a losing battle on your own, especially trying to find a chin competent vet - many of us have been where you are and we can empathise with you right now.
Best wishes for Gus - lets hope this vet is good with small furries.
Reglan/propulsid, pain relief and maybe some sub cut fluids if he is dehydrated (he may not be since you've been feeding him) are needed - ask for some meds to bring home with you as well so that you can continue the good work you're doing.

Best wishes to you both and fingers crossed for Gus.

This is Jill....I left the computer logged in at home - so Bryant can read the posts/advice while I am at work...I guess I am going to have to create a log in just for him...I had no idea he would post, but am VERY glad he did. 1-4-3!

I just got off the phone with the vet's office. They advised us to "keep him comfortable" and continue feeding CC and doing belly rubs. We have an appointment at 4:45p.m., and I hope the day goes by quickly.

Gut stasis can take awhile to recover from.You guys are doing great,just keep it up.
We all know how this can wear you down so try to stay positive.:hug2:

All our fingers and paws are crossed here!

Wearing down, cause I feel like I am not doing enough for him. I'm a mom of 2 little people (7 & 19 months) and have left my husband at home to deal with his "puddin" and both kids (snow day) and my mom who is in poor health. On top of all that - he is packing our house, as we are moving this coming weekend.

Hang in there! You guys are doing a great job; Gus couldn't ask for better parents. Best of luck at the vet, please keep us updated. Keep fighting, Gus! :hug4:

My 7yr old just called and left me a v/m that "Gus is not doing okay, please call home." I did and Bryant just told me that Gus has passed. I am sitting at my desk at work tears running down my face.

R.I.P. Gus

:( *hugs* very sorry for your loss. You did everything you could. Now at least he's at peace and in no pain. RIP Gus

Jill, I am so, so sorry to hear the news and I'm so sorry you had to find out while you were at work and away from your little guy. You guys did everything you could for Gus and as heartbreaking as this is, you couldn't have done anything more for him. I know Gus was just like one of the kids and that makes it especially hard to let go. My heart goes out to you and your family...I am so incredibly sorry for your loss.

Back