Difference between a Show and a Field Day

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SunshineChins

I think I know the basic difference but thought this might be a good question to ask for the forum.

What is the differences between a show and a field day?

a sanctioned show must follow specific rules set by either ECBC or MCBA.
Field Days are usually set up to be less formal and more educational and the rules are set by those putting on the show. Fiels days usually have a specific number of chins that are required to be for sale ,with a minimum and max. price determined by those putting on the show. In this area field days members are allowed to work hands on behind the table with the judges,or long time ranchers to learn how they evaluate chins. At field days I have been able to work hands on with some of the top judges in the country and many long time ranchers. Some thing that wouldn't be possible at a sanctioned show. I have been able to basically be a trainie judge with ,Dick and Mary Joe Bradford, Pete and Sue Kiseski, Bill Booker, Joe Brown, Bill Fallis , Roger Clark, Ricki Cegilski, and many others. It is a great learning experience not only to know why this animal was a first and that one was a second , but to be able to ask questions and know why this first place animal is better then that first place animal. and how and why each judge or rancher evaluates chins.

At Heartland Field days we don't require you to sell a specific number. You can sell or not sell them. Ours is in October so most people are starting to look at show strings. Last year we had a money show and gave a set amount for GS,RGS and 1st-3rd breeders awards. It is a more relaxed atmosphere at Field Days and you can kind of make your own rules. Luke is talking about the Colorado West show in April, this will be our 3rd year in a row to go and hope we never have to miss it ever. After every class you vote on the CC and RCC and then at the end you bring the CC'S back up and vote on GS and RGS. Field Days give you a chance to try things like this, that you can't at a sanctioned show.

MCBA field days are usually set up like regular shows, but they are more relaxed. Often, a person or two is invited behind the table, to talk with the judge and learn what the judge is seeing and looking for.

Some are claim shows and some aren't. It's all up to the sponsoring chapter.

Yep you can basically do anything you want at a field day. So if you think of something that you would like at a field day ,such as the way it is done in this area with hands on learning for all, Then discuss it with you branch or chapter. Let them know what you want.

How many field days are there in a year? Are there more of those than shows?

Back