Not a good birthday for me

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orlandochins

On Saturday I woke up to find that my violet girl had given birth to a violet boy...he weighed in at 40 grams and his eyes were still closed...got his eyes open and he was all over the place....as of last night he was 44 grams!!!! Dad had seemed to be taking the most care of him so I had left him in there....last night went to bed and all 3 chins (mom, dad and baby) were all sleeping peacefully...this morning went in to find that the little one had been attacked and had not made it through the night....I am assuming dad because mom was hiding and had no blood on her...dad is a dr eb so it is hard to see....I am a registered breeder so I know these things happened and it won't be the first I am sure....but today is my bday and not how I wanted it to start out....:cry3:

I am sorry to hear that. Things do definitely happen like that though, sadly.

So sorry to hear about the kit. May I ask what you mean by a 'registered' breeder? Is this a FL thing?

Definitely not a FL thing. I was wondering the same thing, I have never heard that and I am here and breeding.

so sorry to hear about the kit. It doesn't necesarily mean that the dad purposely attacked the kit. Sometimes Dad tries to breed mom. Mom fights dad off and the kit(s) get in the way. Either Mom and/or Dad could have accidently bit the kit hard and several places. Unfortunately it happens sometimes

oops sorry I didn't mean to type it like that....I was talking to someone at work about being registered for something else and I mixed convos.....its been a busy day for me

I'm so sorry. That really stinks. It's so important to make sure that they're separated at the end of her pregnancy,not only for mama's sake but the kits as well. These horrible things do happen sometimes. I'm soo sorry. I hope the rest of your day has gone well.

Back