I'm Sorry Capuccino

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkc1038

I feel like a total failure tonight. I had created this Beautiful Baby safe cage using hardware wire, perfect or so I thought. As you can see by my signiture I have ferrets, they are meat eaters and especially rodents it is instinct. This I know so I take special precautions. Long story short I failed tonight to protect a little baby and his Mama from those teeth. They are in my bedroom and it is usually door closed and latched by ME, well kids had to get one more look at the little guy and didnt shut the door behind them. My baby proof cage was perfect for the baby , BUT was not preditor proof. One of my ferrets got in the cage and killed the baby and seriously maimed Mom. Rush to the Vets and Snow is alive and being taken care of . I have to say I have a WONDERFUL Vet and they were very concerned about me and the kids who are still shaken up. I just had to let you know. I know I will always have a tear in my heart for what I could of prevented if I had just made sure the door was closed properly.

I am so sorry for your loss. It was an accident not your fault. It does happen. I lost a momma chin to my dog when I left her in a carrier for just a few minutes. I am so sorry it is horrible feeling all the if I only... But accidents do happen.

I am sorry, I hope momma chin will be OK. Hugs for you and the kids, I know how you feel, it has happened to me with a bird.
I am sure the lil baby is very popular playing over the Rainbow Bridge. :angel8:

One of my ferrets killed one of my kits last year - pulled him out of his baby safe cage. I was shaken for some time, but I just had to double check from then on out. Now the ferrets are 5 or more rooms away from my guys, because ferrets will seek out the chins and it's too much to risk. I keep the chin room locked so no one can get in unless I want them to.

It's not your fault though, it's just hard having ferrets and chins in the same house sometimes. Just make sure your kids know the boundaries now and take care of mom.

I have 2 cats and I always have one cage of chins running loose in the chin room at all times (they take turns by cage). The chins are downstairs and there are 2 doors the cats would have to get thru to get to them. Fortunately I have instilled terror into all my family members to NEVER leave the 1st door open so the cats can never get to where they even have a chance of getting to the 2nd door. The kids have grown and moved out since I have moved my chins back to the house so there is no longer a need for a lock on the 2nd door. Hubby never bothers them.

I am sorry for your loss and understand totally how easily it can happen for another pet to get to your chin. Don't blame yourself for it, they're like small children, turn your back for 30 seconds and they manage to get into trouble.

I have to say THANK YOU everyone for all the kind words, I have not slept all night because I just feel so bad about this, I thought that I had all the bounderies and safety nets in place, but as my daughter says we are all human and make mistakes.
I was worried about Mom all night and it turns out she is doing really well this morning(I am trying not to jink it), LOVED her meds and asked for more. I know this is just the first day but she is bright and actually eating this morning. So I am hopeful that she does well.

Back