What do you feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megan

Dot lives forever!
What do you feed your hedgehogs? Why did you choose that food?

Kismet eats Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover’s Soul Light and that’s it. She has a very sensitive stomach, and it’s the only food that doesn’t give her extremely runny, smelly poop. She also gets servings of fresh vegetables and fruit (she LOVES green beans and apples), as well as lean meats and oatmeal.

Cuda eats a mixture of CSFTCLS, Royal Canin Indoor Cat and Innova Light. I have to break the CSFTCLS up into pieces because he doesn’t believe in chewing food properly, and always chokes on it. He doesn’t have a problem with other kibbles, just that one. He’s a runner, so I also supplement him with a bit of higher fat moist cat food every few days. He also gets fruits, vegetables, meats and oatmeal. To date, his very favourite fruit is kiwi, although he doesn’t get that often at all. He also loves scrambled eggs.

Vette is an elderly hog and her jaws just aren’t what they used to. She eats CSFTCLS that I break into pieces for her, and RC Indoor Cat. I offer her the same veggies, fruits and meat that the other two get, but she turns her nose up at them all. Her favourite treat is a bowl of mint tea, which I give her once a week to keep her bowels working properly. Some people might remember a thread on CnQ about her health issue – it turns out she was constipated and had about 70 grams of fecal matter backed up in her body. HM suggested mint tea, and it’s kept little miss Vette regular – she actually puts Cuda to shame on her wheel every night.

When I had the hedgehogs we fed a basic diet of Innova Lite and Felidea cat foods. Holly wouldn't eat ANYTHING else but the kibble, so thats all she got.

Missi liked the bugs, chicken, baby food etc...

That's what I forgot to add! None of my brats will eat bugs. Vette curls into a ball and hisses, Kismet tries her best to ignore them, and Cuda will go out of his way to step on them.

There's such a thing as being TOO domesticated, I think.

Winston is on Acana Prairie kibble, and he devours mealies too. He likes peas and cantalope, and is slowly getting into more fruit/veg. He also loves chicken breast

Kendra

Lily has been eating Spike's Delite Premium Hedgehog Food for the last several months. But last week I started adding Wellness Indoor Health, and she seems to like it a lot. After we're done introducing the Wellness food, I'm going to introduce CSFTCLS, and then wean her off the Spike's once it's nearly gone. Hopefully she'll do good with the rest of the switch. :)
So far we haven't tried too many treats. She loves chicken and turkey, but hasn't tried apples, bananas, or blueberries yet, though I've offered them a couple of times. She ate half a raspberry once, then mashed the rest into her bedding, lol. After she's settled with her new food mix, I'm going to work on introducing more fruits/veggies and such.

My gang eat a mix of

- Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul Lite
- Solid Gold Katz'n'floken
- Fromm Nutritionals Light
- Sometimes Technical Regular Cat

I have a few oldies who need their kibble dampened. Some like mealies, some like crickets and sweet potato baby food is a favourite.

Syringe diet of a/d, sweet potato baby food, organic low sodium chicken broth.

Kipper gets Technical Regular Cat and Royal Canin Baby Cat (but he has specific dietary needs because he looses weight fast).

Hector gets the standard hedgie kibble: A mix of CSFTPLS Light, Technical Regular Cat and Acana Light.

April

My boys absolutely love Natural Balance Original Formula. It's really high in fat, so I mix it with Wellness Weight Control and Innova Light.

I also have Blue Spa Organix (or something like that), but the pieces are like X shaped and there are little tiny spherical bits that I'm afraid they'll choke on. So I keep little containers of them around the house as "hedgie cookies." They love them... I scared the vet when I brought the cookies with me... she thought I was feeding them junk food, but chilled out when she noticed they were just kibble.

I also have Blue Spa Organix (or something like that), but the pieces are like X shaped and there are little tiny spherical bits that I'm afraid they'll choke on. So I keep little containers of them around the house as "hedgie cookies." They love them... I scared the vet when I brought the cookies with me... she thought I was feeding them junk food, but chilled out when she noticed they were just kibble.

Sid is on a mix of RC Indoor and the Blue Spa. But she refuses to eat those little dark bits. The "cookies" as you call them. LoL The Blue Spa smells so fishy to me. Yuck.

Sid used to eat freeze dried mealies but doesn't touch them now. I just have to get over my willies for the live ones. Maybe that's why she likes my husband better. She does like bananas and meat flavored baby food.

I mix Royal Canin and Blue Buffalo for our little guy :)

I started this mix just recently, due to his breeders suggestion, we used to just feed him Spikes... and I'm actually impressed who quick and happy Kiah was to the food change. We were worried that he wouldn't eat anything else since he doesn't like and fruit and veggies... and only eats certain meal worms.

I feed Royal Canin Indoor and Blue Spa. They gets bugs and treats too, but that's there kibble food :D

Solid Gold Katz n flocken = Because this so far is the best holistic food available here, there are many others i would like to try that are unavailable. As it is solid gold is only available in a handful of stores. This makes up the largest % of their mix.
Acana = This is the middle quality kibble in their mix, and it helps Angel keep her weight steady. More widely available than Solid gold.
RC fit 32 = Because every store carries this and its not too bad quality wise. This is their 'junk' food.

I am feeding a mix of:

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul senior formula,
Royal Canin Light 37 Indoor
Wellness Healthy Weight
Innova Low Fat

I am considering adding in a "junk" food, any thoughts on this?

Personally, i think the RC light 37 indoor you have in there counts as a junk food :p

I wouldn't go much 'junkier' than that quality wise or you start to get into the health hazard territory ( dubious meat sources, chemicals, additives )

Last edited:
okie, i'll just keep the mix as it is and see how it goes. :) i can always swap the RC out for something else if needbe. :)

Back