Teeth

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

Illini_Girl

I didn't see anything bout teeth unless I over looked it I thought i'd list some questions about teeth
What color are the teeth suppose to be?
What are they suppose to look like?
Is is a problem if there is a missing tooth on the bottom/top?
How short is to short?
What type(s) of hay are best for the teeth?

Chinnie teeth should be an orange color. If they're white or have white stripes, then the chin isn't taking in enough calcium. I don't have a ton of experience with how they should appear, other than that anything you can see should be straight and not overgrown. All types of quality hay are good for actually grinding down the back teeth, and alfalfa hay is good if they need more calcium. However, many pellet types are alfalfa-based, so if you're feeding one of those, the alfalfa hay should be given sparingly - the staple of a chinnie diet should be Timothy hay.

I'm sure someone else will come along and answer some of the other questions/fill in the gaps.

Well if they ARE missing a teeth it can cause huge problem. If a tooth does not have a tooth counterpart opposite to grind, that teeth will just grow and grow and grow. That can lead to problems.

Yep I agree with anne-lise. If the tooth right below the missing one is also missing, shouldn't be no problem but if it isn't the tooth will continue to grow until it pierces the opposite side. I would also probably be concerned why the tooth was missing in the first place.

Back